Pages

Friday, May 20, 2016

Week 1 Day 6: 30 Day Tahitian Dance Challenge

Eat Healthy - 1st Place








Day 6, has been the most dreaded day... That's right, this was worse than the cardio day. I have trouble eating healthy...because I don't like most vegetables...

I didn't want to go too crazy with dieting, because I wanted to focus on dancing and just getting active in general. But let's get real, I can't keep chugging milkshakes and hope to change my body or get in shape.

Diets are hard because we all have different preferences and things that are easy or works for one person may not necessarily be the case for another. For me, if push comes to shove I can do crazy diets, but be crazy for me to be the grouchiest person ever. Rather than going on a strict no carb, no sweets, no happiness route, I chose to simply do a little more healthy, and a little less healthy in increments. I'm focusing on lots of water, smaller meal portions full of lean protein and vegetables, fewer carbs but I won't say no to them entirely. I will say ok to having a treat once a week on my cheat day ;)


Water
The easiest thing for me to do is switching out my drinks because I mostly drink water anyway. This is more than just drinking water instead of soft drinks, but to make sure to have water at certain times of the day. Also, rather than snacking when I get the munchies, I'm going to drink a glass of water instead and see if I still get hungry 15 minutes later.

1. Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning.
2. Drink a glass of water before every meal.
3. Drink a total of 2 liters of water in a day.

The only exception is I will allow myself to drink coffee (with out sugar), and maybe a small milkshake once a week on my cheat day.



Lean Protein

Aside from the obvious (lean) chicken, beef, or pork, there are also other types of ways to get protein in a healthy way too. Sadly for me, these are things I'm not a huge fan of... Fish, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, and eggs are good ways to add protein into your diet without having to always eat meat.

Tofu is a good alternative for me (easier to have that beans or soybeans) as well as konjac, if I can get my hands on it here. Both were easily found and in many meals in Japan, but now that I'm in the US I'd have to get a little more creative with how I'd include them in my meals. I still hope to have miso soup for breakfast and maybe stick to a traditional Japanese breakfast and just skip the rice.


Vegetables  

Of course, even without going on a diet you need to be having vitamins and nutrients. Some things I will be focusing on having more of are, but not limited to, broccoli, spinach, kale, bell peppers, and tomatoes. I used to be on this crazy diet before, and especially to try not to eat heavy things late I had raw, shredded cabbage and vegetable soup when I came from work (which was between 8 and 10) for dinner. I'm not going crazy again, but I will be having the shredded cabbage again, simply because I lack fiber and I don't enjoy salads either. It's just with one meal a day, before or after, and trust me, I drink about a whole glass of water to wash it down lol.



What About Carbs?


This is essentially a low carb diet. I won't be eating much grains, but as you can see I still kept many of the starchy vegetables and legumes in the diet. Since I will be using quite a bit of energy dancing, it is important I still get the energy I need from food, but I want to limit my sugar intake (majority of my weight problems will be solved there) and ease up on pasta, rice, flour, etc.

If you noticed, I haven't mentioned much about fruits... As a type of low carb diet, fruit are getting the boot this time... But hey, it's only 30 days right? Well, less than now technically, lol.




Hope I can keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment